How To Begin A Relationship With Jesus Christ
There are five parts to becoming a believer.
Relationship - Sin - Answer - Receive - Prayer
1. God loves you and me so much that he desires to have a relationship with us. Through this relationship with Christ we will experience peace, purpose, and as a result have eternal life. This is the purpose of why we are on earth, so we may enjoy a relationship with God, the creator. From the Bible this verse give a clear explanation of how much God loves us. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life."
We were created especially to have a close relationship with him but something messed that relationship up.
2. God loves you and me even though we are sinful. Standing between us and our relationship with God is sin (which is anything that separates us from God). God by his very nature is sinless, holy and cannot relate to anything that is sinful. Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." This verse relates the condition that all of us are in. Even one sin in our life makes us a sinner.
So what can we do about this sin problem? Is there an answer?
3. God loves you and me so much that he has provided an answer for our sin problem. The answer to this sin problem lies in the Son of God - Jesus - who lived a perfect life. Because Jesus lived a sin free life and is the very Son of God makes him the perfect sacrifice to take our sin away. Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins and purchase a place in heaven for us which he offers as a free gift. Roman 5:8 - "God demonstrated his own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
So how can we receive this gift of eternal life from God?
4. God loves you and me so much that we can receive this gift from God if we believe in him. We receive this gift not for what we do but as an act of faith. It is trusting Jesus Christ alone for salvation and nothing else. God wants this for you more than you can know. Revelation 3:20a - "Here I am! I stand at the door (of your life) and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him." Jesus will do his part by providing eternal life if you do your part by believing in him.
What are the actual steps to become a believer?
5. Steps to become a believer. Becoming a believer can take place anywhere. Going through the steps below will require praying to God so you may want a quiet place where you would not be interrupted. Prayer is simply talking to God. There is no special language and there are no special words. God sees you and knows what you are thinking in your heart. So, as long as this is a genuine point in your life He will most assuredly hear what you say.
These are simple steps to becoming a believer. But if you need someone to help, we will be glad to add more explanation and/or guide you through this decision. Contact the church at 256-428-9400 for help.
a. Confess you are a sinner. This is an important part of recognizing our and God's relationship. God will forgive us our sins if we recognize that we are a sinner and willing to confess that to him. Confessing can be as simple as saying, "Lord, I am a sinner."
b. Ask for forgiveness for our sins. Again no special words but you could say something like, "Lord, I ask that you forgive me of my sins."
c. Ask Jesus to come into your life and be your savior. It's like opening a door and asking Jesus to come in and be your savior. In your prayer you might say something like, "Jesus, I want you to come into my life and be my savior. I want to go to heaven, and I trust you and place my faith in you."
d. When you talk to God you are praying. Here is a prayer asking Jesus to come into your life.
Lord, I confess to you I am a sinner. I know that sin separates me from you. I now ask you to forgive my sins. I know that Jesus died for me on the cross and will take my sin away if I believe in him. Jesus I do believe in you. I ask you to come into my life (heart) and give me eternal life. Thank you so much for forgiving me and giving me eternal life. Amen
After you genuinely say this prayer your salvation has become a fact. You are a believer and have been given eternal life by God's grace. You may feel emotion or you may not. Either way is perfectly normal. We trust God by our faith not by our feelings.
Some of the things that will help you to grow in Christ are listed below.
1. Tell someone you are a believer. If you know a Christian be sure to tell them too.
2. Read the gospel of John in the bible. Write down any questions you have. Then find a Christian friend or a minister and ask them to explain the questions you have written down.
3. Try to read parts of the bible each day. The gospels of Matthew, Luke, Mark and John are wonder reading for new Christians. Pay attention to how Jesus lived his life. This will guide you and help you as you live your life.
4. Try to pray each day. Don't worry about what you say. It's life a friend talking to another friend.
5. One of the best things about becoming a believer is allowing God to lead you in your life. God will lead you to experience deep peace, joy, and abundant life if we allow Him to guide. In prayer ask God to guide you and allow some mature Christians to come in your life to help you grow in God.
6. Become a member of a church. Joining a church will help you learn more and more about God and will help you learn how to worship God.
Again remember if you need someone to help, we will be glad to add more explanation and/or guide you through this decision. Contact the church at 256-428-9400 for help.
Links to other explanations of How to Become a Believer
Four Spiritual Laws